Nobody likes to drink alone...

General discussion and a free for all forum about everything and nothing! Please don't spam uselessly.
FF...
Aww Fun Time Is Over

Re: Nobody likes to drink alone...

Post by FF... »

You went to Holland, Baka? What a missed opportunity to meet :(

The prices keep rising here as well. Bloody annoying.
Baka
Aww Fun Time Is Over

Post by Baka »

FF... wrote:You went to Holland, Baka? What a missed opportunity to meet :(

The prices keep rising here as well. Bloody annoying.
Well actually spend a week in Belgium for New Years and on the way back we stopped in Amsterdam. * that city was full of garbage!
I just remembered Goldmember from Austin Powers was dutch...
"Welcome to 1975, Aushtin Powers and Fazha"
"Would you like a smoke and a pancake? You know, flapjack and a cigarette? No? All right. Cigar and a waffle? No? Pipe and a crepe? No? Bong and a blintz? No? Oh, well, then there is no pleasing you."

and a classic from Austins Fazha:
"There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch."
FF...
Aww Fun Time Is Over

Post by FF... »

I just remember goldmember not speaking dutch at all. Sounded more like german.
Baka
Aww Fun Time Is Over

Post by Baka »

I know the feeling brother......So called Romanians in movies talking Russian or * like that. Man but Dutch is so weird for me, it resembles German which I speak fluently but it doesn't at the same time.
Written stuff I can kinda understand but once somebody's talking in Flemish they lost me.
That was the annoying part when I was in Belgium, couldn't speak Flemish or French but you could understand to some degree.
FF...
Aww Fun Time Is Over

Post by FF... »

Yeah, but Flemish use that soft G in their accent that makes it sound even less like German.

With dutch, there's a lot of words that sort of sound similar, but then there are also a lot that don't. Some of my colleagues who don't know any german just speak dutch in a german accent to them. It doesn't work.
Baka
Aww Fun Time Is Over

Post by Baka »

That reminds me, remember when a bunch of us Legacy users recorded ourselves?
I wonder who had those recordings and why on Earth did we do it. Actually was Legacy before YouTube appeared?
Amanroth
Post Monser

Post by Amanroth »

i remember going to belgium and asking my cousin what Flemish was, and when she explained it she tried ever so hard not to mention the word "Dutch". So I told her that it sounds like she just speaks dutch, and she got really offended. She told me that telling a Belgian that they speak dutch is like telling a Canadian person that they speak American. I guess I can kinda see her point, but I spent a month in Belgium and when I went to Amsterdam I heard virtually no difference, except Flemish has a more french fluidity to it. I attribute that to Belgium being bilingual though.

Now German, I can't hear a lick of Dutch in German, they sound entirely different to me. Especially when both are speaking English in their respective accents. The only thing that sounded remotely dutch in Goldmember's accent was when he said "Fazha", although he said it with way too much pizazz to sound like any of the dutch people I know.

I think dialect in movies is really important, unless they're purposely making it awful. It can make or break the character, and I hate it when every single * eastern European has a Russian accent. And unless the actor is actually Russian (which is never), the accent itself is usually terrible as well. I watched Hostel Part 3, and the opening scene had two American actors portraying Russians with thick broken-english accents. "We go to shower." and stuff like that. God it annoys the crap out of me.

I think Legacy came and went before YouTube
Knowledge once held power, now it remains in the pleasantries of sight. Brains or beauty? What's more important than the envy of another? We starve our only strengths to feed our weaknesses. Mental anorexia.
Baka
Aww Fun Time Is Over

Post by Baka »

For me it was really annoying watching war movies and all the Germans were talking English. There were some notable exceptions of course.

Do you guys watch Top Gear UK?
Watch Series 14, Episode 1. It's in Romania and it features our kickass road The Transfăgărășan
Amanroth
Post Monser

Post by Amanroth »

I've been meaning to check out Top Gear, but i didn't know there was a UK version. I do think you made up that word though. Transfagarasan...

A great movie where they stay true to languages is Inglorious Basterds. I find each language almost adds a different feel to it's part in the movie. He seems to really bring out the romance in each. I'm not sure about dialects though on that one, I don't have a great ear for the differences in French or German regions. But when Christoph Waltz flawlessly transcends between French, German, Italian, and English, I found that to be pretty badass. It seems like QT took the time to really make sure he knew what he was doing, so I wouldn't be surprised if the dialects are correct too.

I have a pretty hard time with those phony Russian accents, my good friend transferred here from Belarus, and he spoke both Russian and Belarusian. I've heard a few different people speak with Romanian accents, enough at least to know how crappily they're portrayed on film. My sister's fiance is from Holland, so I know a dutch accent when I hear it, but are there actually different regional dialects in such a small country FF?
Knowledge once held power, now it remains in the pleasantries of sight. Brains or beauty? What's more important than the envy of another? We starve our only strengths to feed our weaknesses. Mental anorexia.
sike oh
Prized Petunia

Post by sike oh »

currently * hammered.....i, wish you all were here